If you think you might be suffering from hyperhidrosis: keep reading to learn more about the condition, the 6 symptoms to look out for and (if you do suffer from hyperhidrosis) and when to speak to a doctor.
Hyperhidrosis: meaning uncovered
Hyperhidrosis is a medical condition and is characterized by uncontrollable excessive sweating. Unlike regular sweating, which is your body’s natural way of cooling down, people with hyperhidrosis often experience excessive sweating for no reason at all. Primary focal hyperhidrosis – the most common cause of excessive sweating and a medical condition of its own – is often hereditary, while secondary hyperhidrosis can be triggered by medication or other medical conditions like menopause, hormonal shifts or metabolic changes. Every experience of hyperhidrosis is different: some people sweat profusely from their hands and feet while others will feel it most on their torso or underarms. The condition is known to impact the lives of millions of people all over the world, both physically and psychologically. Here at Dr Sweat, we totally understand that excessive sweating can be difficult to manage daily, so we exist to make life easier (and drier) for anyone and everyone living with excessive sweating.
Things to look out for: 6 hyperhidrosis symptoms
- Have you been excessively and uncontrollably sweating on a regular basis for at least 6 months, even when it’s cool outside or you’re not exercising?
- Does excessive sweating prevent you from going about your day as normal?
- Do you experience excessive sweating at least once a week, and find that sweat soaks through your clothes?
- Do you experience excessive sweating at night (also known as night sweats) and find that sweat often soaks right through your sheets?
- Do you have a family history of excessive sweating?
- Are you taking medication for another condition?
When to speak to your doctor about hyperhidrosis
If excessive sweating is impacting your quality of life, or if you answer yes to the following, it’s time to speak to your doctor about hyperhidrosis and excessive sweating.
You’ve tried an over-the-counter clinical antiperspirant without success
Keep an eye out for the active ingredients in your over-the-counter clinical antiperspirant. Dr. Sweat clinical antiperspirant contains the highest level of aluminum chloride (an effective, active ingredient that blocks the flow of sweat from reaching the skin’s surface) permitted by the US FDA in an over-the-counter product that’s for up to 7 days.
Excessive sweating is severely impacting your wellbeing
Regardless of the severity, we know that the embarrassment, anxiety and emotional impact are real. Remember, your doctor can offer effective support and solutions for both hyperhidrosis and your mental wellbeing.
You’re already making all the right lifestyle choices
Many people find that simple lifestyle changes like choosing loose, breathable clothing made from natural fibres, using gentle soap, having cool showers, carrying spare pairs of socks and wearing leather shoes can make a big difference. However, if you feel like you’ve tried everything, it’s time to speak to your doctor about hyperhidrosis.
How to cure hyperhidrosis permanently
While there’s no single ‘cure’ or solution for excessive sweating or hyperhidrosis, there are multiple options to help reduce sweating and improve the side effects. If you’re thinking of speaking to your doctor, it can be helpful to research the types of treatments available for hyperhidrosis beforehand. Your doctor might refer you to a dermatologist, or discuss one of the following options:
• Treating the areas with a weak electric current passed through water or on a wet pad (iontophoresis)
• Botox injections can stop sweating under the armpits from around 4-12 months
• Surgery – for example, to remove the sweat glands
If you do you suffer from hyperhidrosis, don’t suffer in silence – the next step is to find a solution that works for you. You can also find lots of helpful information about excessive sweating on our site Science of Sweat and from the International Hyperhidrosis Society.
Leave a comment
1 easy application. 7 days of sweat protection. Serious clinical strength.
Always on the lookout for the best antiperspirant deodorant you can find? Meet Dr. Sweat's Clinical Strength Antiperspirant Deodorant Pads, the highest sweat protection available without a prescription.
- Clinically-proven to reduce sweat for 7 days
- Designed for excessive sweating in armpits
- Suitable for both men and women
- Alcohol-free, fragrance-free deodorant formula
- Contains 10 easy-to-apply underarm pads